string match to name in use

Hi netcdf group:

I am seeing this runtime error from f90 code running on NCAR's IBM SP
bluevista system:

   0:------------------------------------------------------------------------
   0:>>> Error from netcdf library:
   0:def_fsech: Error defining 3d field CHI
   0:istat=  -42
   0:String match to name in use
   0:------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm building with mpxlf_r, and linking the lib from /usr/local/lib32/r4i4.
The f90 include file is from /usr/local/include. I believe this is v3.6.0.
The program does not stop, and I get all variables expected in the output file.

There are several references to this in the mail archives, but I don't
know if it ever got ironed out. An Error Troubleshooting site at UNC:

http://www.cep.unc.edu/empd/EDSS/ioapi/ERRORS.html

says error -42 is ncename and "indicates that you're trying to have two
different variables with the same name when creating a file", but I don't
think I'm guilty of this offense ;-) altho I do have 2 similiar var names,
"CHI" and "CHI_DEG" -- the error occurs when attempting to define them
with nf_def_var. Thanks for any suggestions,

--Ben