Re: netcdf-3.6.1 configure and make

>./configure --prefix=/gis/gmt/netcdf-3.6.1 CC=gcc

Hm, you are trying to use gcc as compiler (I'm more used to CC=gcc ./configure
--prefix=... , but maybe that works, too?) but what is behind the command c++
on your system?
Try to specify CXX=g++, too, since the CC variable only specifies the C
compiler, not C++.

>c++ -c -g -O2 -I../libsrc -I. -I..   -Df2cFortran netcdf.cpp

>In file included from netcdfcpp.h:16,
>                from netcdf.cpp:13:
>ncvalues.h:14: sstream: No such file or directory

Well, a sane C++ installation should have the stringstream class, that is
included via #include <sstream>. A g++ install really should.

If C++ is no issue to you, you could also disable building of the C++ interface.

Thomas.

--
Thomas Orgis - theoretischer Physiker, praktischer Mensch
Arbeitsgruppe Nichtlineare Dynamik,