ncks and ncwa

Hello,

I am new to working with netCDF files.  I have edited a 2-D variable (Land
use) in a file that is in 3-D space.  That edited file has been dumped to
a separate 2-D netCDF file.  I would like to overwrite this new data to
the previous 3-D file.  I have tried the ncks command and encounter this
error:

ncks: ERROR attempt to write 2 dimensional input variable LU_INDEX to 3
dimensional space in output file.
HINT: When using -A (append) option, all appended variables must be the
same rank in the input file as in the output file. ncwa operator is useful
at ridding variables of extraneous (size = 1) dimensions. Read the manual
to see how.

I have started to do some research on the ncwa operator and have been
unsuccessful.  Can anyone help me with the proper commands?

Thanks in advance!

Patrick

--
Patrick C. Pyle