Re: NetCDF library in Universal Binary for Mac OS X

On 2006-01-25 07:53, Ed Hartnett said:

>If I knew what the heck you were talking about, I could perhaps make
>this easier for you in future builds.
>
>The next version of netCDF, 3.6.1, due to be released this month, is
>the last version of netCDF which does *not* use libtool and
>automake. Starting with netCDF 4.0, we have a full autotools build.
>
>Consequently, I have been doing a lot of work on the configuration for
>netCDF 4.0, and now would be a good time to include whatever might
>help with this compile problem.
>
>But I am at a bit of a loss as to what might be helpful for me to
>do...

First, please read Apple technote 2137:
<http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2005/tn2137.html>

Also good:
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_binary>

Basically, the idea is that one executable file contains the object code
for both ppc and intel.  And the compiler can make such a 'universal
binary' on either a ppc mac or intel mac.  As such, it is important to
_not_ assume that the properties of the build machine match the
properties you are building for.  Things like the endianess, structure
padding, sizeof(int) etc.  Just because I'm building on a big endian ppc
does not mean I'm building _for_ a big endian ppc.

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx