NCVID not behaving as documented?

Hello All,
I have a quick question for everyone.  Has anyone noticed the NCVID
fortran function exiting when encountering an unknown variable?  In my
manual, v2.3, the function is supposed to return an error code through
RCODE.
IMHO, this is terrible.  No library function should totally exit.  They should
return proper error codes and allow the calling routines to trap the
errors.  Any suggestions or hints?

Thank you,
Steve
--