Can't FTP NetCDF files properly

I have tried creating NetCDF files on an IRIS workstation
running IRIX, a UNIX clone, to an IBM-compatible 486.
However, when I subseqently run NCDUMP (compiled for the
486) on this file, it gives me an error message:
        ncopen: Not a NetCDF file
which led me to suspect that the FTP process was altering
the NetCDF file, since if it was unchanged, it would
(theoretically, anyway) be readable by a DOS-compiled
version of NCDUMP.
I am transferring the NetCDF file from the IRIS to the 486
via a "network drive" system in Windows for Workgroups
File Manager, which shouldn't change the file at all (should
it?).
Could someone please give me a hint as to what is happening?
        Regards - Victor R. Essers.