netcdf libraries for Borland compilers

Hi,

Ken Prada (Applied Ocean Physics and Engineering, Woods Hole Oceanographic
Institution, kegp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) has generously contributed a set of netCDF
libraries to support Borland Turbo C++ (and presumably Borland C++)
compilers for MSDOS.  There are library versions to support small, medium,
large, and huge memory models.  A read.me file describes the files.  We have
made these available via anonymous FTP in the pub/netcdf/contrib/borland/
directory on ftp.unidata.ucar.edu (as some of you already noticed before
this announcement).

Ken adds these notes about usage:

    These libraries should work fine for use with both Turbo C++ and Borland
    C++ (separate and different products).  I will be happy to help out with
    any problems that relate to their use.  I will also help with the proper
    inclusion of Borland support with the formal distribution if necessary.

    Only two corrections to source files were necessary to generate the
    libraries.  Other changes may be necessary to eliminate all warnings.

    I ran the same compilations using Borland C++ 3.1. With similar
    conclusions.  The only noticeable difference is a large output of "no
    prototype" warnings during compilation of the xdr sources.  I was not
    surprised at these.

    I have been using prior versions of netcdf compiled with an older
    version of Turbo C (2.0) successfully for several years.  However, I
    would not recommend the use of that older version with the latest
    versions of netcdf.  Those using that version should upgrade if at all
    possible. The upgrade costs are low.

Russ Rew                                              UCAR Unidata Program
russ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                        P.O. Box 3000
(303)497-8645                                 Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000