Re: netcdf on PCs

Tomas,

> Is NetCDF supported for both MicroSoft C and
> Borland C on the PC (DOS and MS-Windows) platform?
> If so, are the libraries distributed in precompiled
> form for both compilers?

No, we test and support netCDF only for the MicroSoft C and Fortran
compilers.  This is not a Unidata endorsement of MicroSoft over Borland, but
rather a side-effect of the requirements of another Unidata-supported
software package, McIDAS OS-2, developed and maintained by the University of
Wisconsin-Madison Space Science and Engineering Center.

We've had several questions about porting the current netCDF source
distribution to Borland compilers from people who have run into problems
trying to port the code.  Usually we refer these questions to this mailing
list, because we don't have access to Borland compilers or resources to port
the software to multiple compilers for PC platforms.

If someone were to provide us with the source changes for Borland compilers
in a form that could be easily supported and maintained, we would consider
integrating them into the current source distribution.  If someone were to
provide us with compiled versions of the libraries for Borland compilers, we
would make the precompiled libraries available as we do for Microsoft
compilers.

For more information on this subject, you can browse archived support
messages related to netCDF porting attempts to Borland compilers by using

    Information about Unidata Software Packages and Projects
        Unidata NetCDF (network Common Data Form) Library
            NetCDF, Ncopers, and Related Support Inquiries
                search for: Borland

Russ Rew                                              UCAR Unidata Program
russ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                        P.O. Box 3000
(303)497-8645                                 Boulder, Colorado 80307-3000