Re: Other 'standard' formats

  • To: mchance@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Morrell Chance)
  • Subject: Re: Other 'standard' formats
  • From: "Len Makin, Supercomputing Support Group, CSIRO DIT Melbourne." <len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1992 16:38:59 +1100

> The netCDF file system seems quite elaborate, with excellent features,
> and seems to have a popular following. As someone new to these so
> called standards, I am not quite sure which to choose.  There seem to
> be other interfaces around which have some claims to being 'standard'
> also.  Like, for example, the NCSA HDF system. And what about others
> like WEB and BASIS? There may also be others. Has anyone compared
> these against each other? Is there any sense in such a comparison?

A reasonably comprehensive yet brief summary was published as
"SIGGRAPH '90 Workshop Report - Data Structures and Access Software
for Scientific Visualization" in Computer Graphics Vol.25 Number 2 April 1991
a publication of ACM SIGGRAPH. The Workshop Chairperson/Organizer/Editor
was Lloyd Treinish  (lloyd@xxxxxxx) . HDF and netCDF are compared in
SCD Computing News February 1991 "Advantages and Disadvantages of HDF and
netCDF" G.Davis & R.Rew from UCAR.

| Len Makin,  CSIRO, Division of Information Technology (Melbourne)    |
|             Supercomputing Support Group                             |
|723 Swanston St, Carlton| (TEL) +61 3 282 2622   (FAX) +61 3 282 2600 |
|VIC 3053, Australia     | Internet:len@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx               |