[netcdf-porting] Matlab unable to call netcdf using '!'

NOTE: The netcdf-porting mailing list is no longer active. The list archives are made available for historical reasons.

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting to a netcdf listserve - please let me know if
another list would be more suitable for my question.

I am running netcdf 4.2 on Mac OS 10.7.3, installed via macports.

When I am in the shell (tcsh) on my Mac, I am able to use netcdf libraries. For
example:

ncdump -h testfile.nc

However, in Matlab, the same command preceded by the '!' (which is supposed to
directly invoke the shell) generates an error:

!ncdump -h test.nc
dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libnetcdf.7.dylib
 Referenced from: /opt/local/bin/ncdump
 Reason: Incompatible library version: ncdump requires version 10.0.0 or later,
but libnetcdf.7.dylib provides version 9.0.0 Trace/BPT trap
ncdump -h test.nc: Trace/breakpoint trap

I'm unable to figure out why the command preceded by '!' in Matlab does not
invoke the same netcdf libraries. I have many matlab scripts that invoke netcdf
from the command line, so this is an important issue for me. I changed my
Matlab search path to include the MacPorts directories, but that doesn't help.

Any ideas? I'm running Matlab R2012a (7.14.0.739).

Thanks for any suggestions,
Andrew

Andrew Friedman
Graduate Student, UC Berkeley Geography