[netcdf-java] Adding Support for Simple Geometries CF Convention

 Hi NetCDF Java Folks!

Thanks for you hard work on this important open source project. I am Carl
Schroedl, a software developer for the US Geological Survey. We will be
working on a surface water model archiving platform this summer. Our
surface water model archives will be leveraging a new CF Convention on
Simple Geometries to represent things like rivers and watersheds. If you
would like to dig into the details on the new CF Convention, check out the
specification pull request
<https://github.com/cf-convention/cf-conventions/pull/115>, the attached
poster, or the Simple Geometry portion of this lecture
<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Interoperability_and_Technology/Tech_Dive_Webinar_Series#10_May_2018:_.22NetCDF-CF_Advances_-_Simple_Geometries.2C_Swaths.2C_and_Groups.22:_Dave_Blodgett_.28USGS.29.2C_Tim_Whiteaker_.28UT_Austin.29.2C_Aleksander_Jelanek_.28HDF_Group.29_and_Daniel_Lee_.28EUMETSAT.29>
 .

We would like to contribute support for this new convention to open source
tools, possibly including THREDDS, and the CDM. I know from experience that
projects are not always in a great position to accept contributions (large
in-flight refactor branches, closely-related concurrent work, etc.). Do you
foresee any problems with an influx of these types of contributions to
between now and September? Do you have any advice on how our team could
best contribute support for this convention to THREDDS, the CDM, or related
projects?

Thanks again for your work on these important open source efforts.

Wishing you all the best,

--

*Carl Schroedl *| Computer Scientist | USGS | Water Mission Area |
Integrated Modeling and Prediction Division | Modeling Support and