Re: [netcdf-java] Reading GRIB2 levels data

Nikolas,

do you have a sample file that you can share?

Regards

Antonio

On 01/12/16 16:02, Dahn, Nikolas wrote:
Hello!

I'm writing a program to import GRIB2 files into our data store. As it turns out, GRIB(2) is strange. As described here (see 150+notes) <http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/grib2/grib2_table4-5.shtml> GRIB2 variables may have a "Generalized Vertical Height Coordinate" *which is not part of the coordinate system* but described through an external "3D-GRIB message". Sadly I have exactly that case.

Until now I have not found a way to access this data through the usual netCDF Java interface. I open the grib2 file as a GridDataset, but as the level is not part of the variable's coordinates definition it doesn't appear as an axis of the GridCoordSystems. Reading the data from the value variable only imports the topmost layer (40-41 in this case). As seen in this screenshot <http://imgur.com/a/kMnIy> the ToolsUI tool can access it, but only from the GRIB2 view. The levels neither appear in the NcML dump nor as a (dimension-)variable. They seem to be part of the GRIB2 PDS section.

My question is: is there a way to access this additional level data through the common interface? And if not, how can I access the PDS sections? I am not sure how to open a GRIB2 file with the specialized GRIB2 classes. I am using NetCDF-4.6.6.

Thanks in advance!
Nikolas