[netcdf-java] release 4.5.0 (beta) coming next week; requires Java 7

Hi all:

We will make a release of version 4.5.0 (beta) next week, and it will require Java 7.

We are making the 4.5 branch our development branch, and will not release a stable version of 4.4. Instead, we will make 4.5 the stable release as soon as possible.

There are some changes you will need to make to THREDDS startup scripts and catalogs, please see:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/thredds/v4.5/tds/UpgradingTo4.5.html

Java 6 is at end-of-life, and is no longer being updated, please see http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

So you should upgrade to Java 7 everywhere you use Java in all circumstances. Java 8 is also waiting in the wings.

For overview of new features, see:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/jdk7-relnotes-418459.html
http://openjdk.java.net/projects/jdk8/features

thanks!