Re: [netcdf-java] fastest way to determine feature type

On 6/19/2012 3:19 PM, Don Murray wrote:
Hi-

I have a bunch of netCDF files and I want to quickly determine whether they are grids, trajectories, or point features. For grids, I've been using GridDataset gds = GridDataset.open(path) and catch the exception if it's not a grid, but for a 3.3 GB file, that can take 2 minutes (or longer) to open and create the dataset if it is a grid. I was wondering if there's a quicker method of determining the feature type of a netCDF file.

Thanks for your help.

Don

Hi Don:

The most convenient thing is to use ToolsUI / FeatureTypes / FeatureScan, and give it a file or directory. It will try to figure out the type and report on what it finds.

The code is in ucar.nc2.ft.scan.FeatureScan.java, you can copy the parts you need.

Its an ongoing process, i think im not doing it as well as it can be done. Send me reports on files it misidentifies.

John