Re: [netcdf-java] CDM and GeoTIFF

Hello all

On the TIFF Image I/O codecs, it may be worth to note a gotcha: all standard image readers (PNG, JPEG, etc.) are correctly found by the javax.imageio API, except the TIFF image reader which (at least on Sun/Oracle Java implementation) seems to appear magically only after a AWT window has been created.

The "Image I/O extension for JAI" (http://download.java.net/media/jai-imageio/builds/release/) provides numerous image format, but many of them have bugs and doesn't seem to be maintained anymore. Now, every standard codecs provided in the standard Java distribution seems to be better than the JAI ones, except for the TIFF format: the TIFF reader provided in "Image I/O extension for JAI" seems to be better than the standard Java one.

"ImageIO-ext" is an alternative. Geotk provides also its own TIFF reader, which happen to be faster than the other readers I have tried (I didn't tried all of them) but doesn't support compression.

    Regards,

        Martin