[netcdf-java] Questions about handling dimensionless coordinates

Hi,

I'd like to add support for dimensionless vertical coordinates in ncWMS and I
have a few questions:

1.       How common is it for the transformation between dimensionless coords
and natural coords to be time-dependent?  Under what circumstances would this
occur?  Does it happen when the coordinate depends on a pressure field that
varies with time?

2.       If the VerticalTransform exists, can I assume that
getCoordinateArray() will always return a valid array, i.e. that nj4 has
automatically found all the auxiliary fields necessary to create the transform
(such as pressure)?

3.       I can see how to get the units of the transformed vertical coordinate
(i.e. the "natural" coords, via VerticalTransform.getUnitString()) but how can
I get the "positive" direction?  In other words, if the natural coordinates are
in metres, how do I know whether this is depth or height?

4.       What would be the most "natural" interpolation method in the vertical
when transforming a gridded field from dimensionless coordinates into levels -
nearest-neighbour or linear?  (Or something else?)

Thanks,
Jon

--
Dr Jon Blower
Technical Director, Reading e-Science Centre