[netcdf-java] Survey results: the preamble

Hi,

In September, we posted an invitation to this mailing list to provide
anonymous input to help guide evolution of the Unidata program, by
participating in a short survey.

Your input was valuable; netCDF users represented a significant portion
of the 240 Unidata community members who responded to the survey.  The
will appear soon on the Unidata web site.  A series of articles in the
Unidata newsletter, beginning with the January 2011 issue, will publish

Most of the netCDF-specific comments expressed satisfaction with netCDF
support and development directions.  However, we thought it would be
useful to respond on this mailing list to about a dozen of the comments
and suggestions.  These will appear in separate postings over the next
few weeks, so that any additional discussion can be more easily
organized in email threads.

On behalf of Unidata staff, I'd like to also take this opportunity to
thank netCDF users, third-party software developers, data providers,
metadata creators, archivers, and conventions creators and to wish you
all a happy holiday season!

--Russ