Re: [netcdf-java] [netcdfgroup] NetCDF jars=>Maven Central Repos?

Hi Guys,

Attached is a patch file that integrates deployment to Maven Central into your
build. It currently relies on my own Sonatype free OSS hosting account, which
is one of the forges that is synced to Maven Central.

This patch doesn't replace your Ant build with Maven, it simply integrates the
Maven Ant Tasks and uses them to build up the necessary staging artifacts to
send off to Maven Central.

To use ths patch you need to do a few things:

 1.  create a $HOME/.m2/settings.xml file, with the following info:

<settings>
   <servers>
    <!-- To stage a release of some part of Maven -->
    <server>
      <id>sonatype-nexus-staging</id>
      <username>username</username>
      <password>password</password>
    </server>
  </servers>
  <profiles>
      <profile>
        <id>netcdf-release</id>
        <properties>
          <gpg.passphrase>passphrase</gpg.passphrase>
        </properties>
      </profile>
  ..
 </profiles>
</settings>

2.  Install the Maven Ant tasks plugin in your $ANT_HOME/lib directory. You can
get the plugin here: http://maven.apache.org/ant-tasks/index.html
<http://maven.apache.org/ant-tasks/index.html>

If you have any more questions just let me know. I've already published a
version of the NetCDF4.2 jars to Sonatype OSS and am waiting on its sync to
Maven Central. Right now I am set up to have perms to publish to the edu.ucar
namespace, but if you guys are willing to commit this patch and move forward
with syncs to Central, you are welcome to take it over.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Chris

On 4/27/10 4:00 PM, "John Caron" <caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 4/27/2010 2:27 PM, Martin Desruisseaux wrote:
> Hello all
>
> In case it may be of any use, we are deploying the NetCDF libraries on
> this Maven repository:
>
>     http://maven.geotoolkit.org/edu/ucar/
>
> The pom.xml files should already have the dependencies defined as
> accuratly as I can, and also contains metadata like the declaration of
> MIT license, the links to UNIDATA web site and to the mailing list. So
> if there us a volunter for uploading those artefact to the central
> Maven repository, just copying the pom.xml with minor editions would
> hopefully be okay.
>
>     http://maven.geotoolkit.org/edu/ucar/netcdf/4.1/netcdf-4.1.pom
>
> I'm aware that the University of Florence also deploy the NetCDF
> libraries, but they use a different groupID ("essi-unidata") and
> artifactID. The GeoTools project used the "edu.ucar" groupID and
> "netcdf" artifactID since NetCDF 2.2.20, and it seems to me that
> "edu.ucar" is closer to the common practice (groupID are often similar
> to the package names), so I continued on that path for the GeoToolkit
> project.
>
> The above Maven repository does not provide the grib.jar file, because
> it depends on jpeg2000.jar and it was not clear to me if the jpeg2000
> licence allowed me to distribute it. So I leaved it out for now...
>
> I can can volonter for updating the pom.xml files for future 4.x
> versions of the NetCDF library, but we would probably need someone
> else with credential for uploading to the central repo.
>
>     Regards,
>
>         Martin

Hi Martin, Chris, Brian:

Some questions about maven to you experts. (Im also cc'ing Orion in case
this helps his "Fedora packaging problem"):

1) Is there a canonical repository, i.e. "Maven Central" ? Martin
already has it at geotoolkit.org, is that good enough?

2) We dont plan (yet anyway) to switch to using maven to build
netcdf-java. We are willing to upload jar files, and maintain pom files
(with your help), and anything thats reasonable that doesnt take much
time. What is the best way to do that?

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246