Re: [netcdf-java] [netcdfgroup] NetCDF jars=>Maven Central Repos?

On 4/26/2010 7:57 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
FYI, [1] from here refers to:

[1] http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TIKA-153

On 4/26/10 6:46 PM, "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <chris.a.mattmann@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    (copying tika-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx so that we can get some dev
    help in Tika-land)

    Hi John,

    Thanks for the information - we have a number of experienced
    developers over in Tika-ville that likely can help provide a patch
    to your ant build scripts to upload via Ant (and likely Ivy) to
    the Maven Central repos. Jukka Zitting is one of the masters of
    Maven Central and of Maven in general - Jukka, do you know how to
    use Ant, with e.g., Ivy, to help out the NetCDF-java'ers?

    Thanks for the info too on the RandomAccessFile notion in netCDF.
    I found it out while trying to process it in Tika, so ended up
    working around it via the Tika interface and loading the stream
    into memory first. Jukka is working on TIKA-153 [1] that builds a
    TikaInputStream to handle these types of situations and provide a
    stream based interface around situations like this :)

I dont know the details of TIKA, but if you want to use netcdf-java to parse netcdf files, you will need a ucar.unidata.io.RandomAccessFile. Typically this is created from a java.io.RandomAccessFile, but you can also use ucar.unidata.io.InMemoryRandomAccessFile, which i guess is what youve done. The stream abstraction doesnt allow one to seek(), which the code assumes. Ive got some experimental "read from stream" code, but it is restricted to netcdf-3.

Sounds like a great project, Ill try to read up more on it!