Re: [netcdf-java] NetCDF CDM Station question

Tom Kunicki wrote:
Hi John,

Yes we are working with Rich Signell.

For this project we will be working against a large number of ThreDDS based
NetCDF sources.  For this particular case we were hoping to implement a
generalized solution to provide a user with a drop down list of range variables
for a given FeatureDatasource (currently of FeatureType.GRID or
FeatureType.STATION).  This list would have all the domain variables removed.

With the source at
http://motherlode.ucar.edu:8080/thredds/dodsC/station/metar/Surface_METAR_20100114_0000.nc
 the domain variables are prefixed with 'station.' while the range variables
are prefixed with 'record.'.  Is this a convention that we could use to strip
out domain variables?

the most general thing is to look for the "_CoordinateAxisType" on each VariableIF, if present its a "domain variable". eg:

for (VariableSimpleIF v : dataset.getDataVariables()) {
 if (v.findAttributeIgnoreCase("_CoordinateAxisType")  != null) {
   // its a domain variable
 }
}

Im not sure this is exactly what you want, but I think its a good approximation. Th distinction of domain and range variables is not always clear.