Re: [netcdf-java] Reading NcML Variables with "values"

My data is as big as I want it to be. My server writes data as it reads it, so there really is no limit. My current use case is one billion time samples. More than I can hold in memory.

Doug

John Caron wrote:
Doug Lindholm wrote:
I have another ncml file that defines its values with a "values" element:
  <values start="0" increment="1"/>
Its single dimension length is fixed, and potentially very large.

I noticed that the NetCDF code creates and holds the entire array in the Variable's "cache". I'd like to think that it would be clever enough to generate the data as I request it. Is there a feature that I'm missing? Would it make sense to have a subclass of Variable that would support this?
It always caches <value> data. Simplicity first. How big is your data?