[netcdf-java] Aggregation on an inner time dimension

Does anyone know if it's possible to do an Aggregation on an inner dimension
(preferably ForecastModelRunCollection but a plain-vanilla aggregation would
be fine).  We are using NCML to aggregate a lot of model run files (every 6
hours for ~10 years), and most often using the aggregated dataset to extract
full length time series.  This works fine with time as the outer dimension,
but the disk is spending nearly all its time seeking, and we know from tests
using hard-coded file access that this runs a lot faster if we permute the
files so that time is the inner dimension.

I've tried using 'union' or 'joinexisting' ncml to do it - but as you'd
expect from the documentation it doesn't work.  Is there a way to do this?

cheers,
Martin

--
Martin Price
Ocean Forecasting Research and Development