Re: [netcdf-java] Longitude unit degrees_west not recognized

Hi John,

There are a lot of legacy oceanographic in-situ datasets out there that use the EPIC netCDF convention <http://www.epic.noaa.gov/epic/document/convention.htm> which in turn recommends use of "degree_west" (note the missing "s") for the longitude units attribute.I've found that you need support the 8 combinations (degree_west, degrees_west, ...) of lat/lon unit attributes in order to reliably handle these kind of datasets. In practice, EPIC datasets are even more complicated as there is an "epic_code" attribute that independently specifies the units for the variable. Some datasets only have the epic_code attribute, some have both, and some (as yet another proof of Murphy's Law) have an epic_code attribute that conflicts with the units attribute.

It would be great (at least for me!) if netCDF-java supported all of these attributes. However, I don't think they should be added to CF, as this would make CF even more complicated than it already is and I think that most data providers should be encouraged to use the degrees_east/degrees_north convention.

- Joe

John Caron wrote:
Tom Whittaker wrote:
We have some point data that has positive-west longitude values.  It
appears that netcdf-java (and perhaps the CF conventions) do not
support a unit of "degrees_west".  This seems inconsistent, since
degrees_east is supported.  While I assume we can work arround this by
adding a scale_factor attribute with a -1.0 value, I would encourage
you to consider this as a valid unit.  (I also wonder if
"degrees_south" are recognized?  I did not check this.....)

Thanks.....

Hi Tom:

CF does not recognize degrees_west (nor degrees_south). You could propose adding that to CF, which would be the best easy to solve it from our POV.

One thing that complicates it is that degrees_north, degrees_east units is the way to recognize lat/lon coordinates. so now degrees_west, degees_south would also be.

Can you give me some background on what datasets are likely to be using these units?