Re: [netcdf-java] netcdf-java long data type?

Hi Dan:

Netcdf-3 file format does not support 64-bit integers, and there's no plans to
extend it. NetCDF-4 format does support long integers along with other new
types. however netcdf-java reads but does not write netcdf-4 files, and its
doubtful that we have the resources at this time to add writing. we are
considering an optional JNI interface to the netcdf C library however to
provide writing.

Dan Wilkinson wrote:
*http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf-java/ says:
/Features not yet available/*/: Writing to netCDF-3 is supported, but new features in the CDM, e.g. groups, structures, the long data type are not available yet./

Why is the long data type not currently supported and when can I expect it to be?

Thanks,
Dan Wilkinson