Re: [netcdf-java] Renaming CoordinateAxis

John et al.

I thought I'd toss this up here just in case someone else wanted to do this
in the future.  I came up with a solution for renaming Coordinate Variables
(axes) prior to writing them to a local netcdf file.  Here's the code:

**Obtain the axis of interest from the GridCoordSystem**
**Let's say I'd like this axis to be named "lon"***

//get the coordinate dimension from the old axis
Dimension dim = axis.getCoordinateDimension();
//change the name to the desired name
dim.setName("lon");

//create a new coordinate axis based on the original but using the renamed
//dimension and the desired name for the name of the axis
CoordinateAxis replacementAxis = new CoordinateAxis(your_NetcdfDataset,
null, "lon", axis.getDataType(), dim.getName(), axis.getUnitsString(),
axis.getDescription());

//fill the new axis with the old data
replacementAxis.setCachedData(axis.read(), axis.isMetadata());

**then either use the replacementAxis or set the original axis =
replacementAxis**

Hopefully someone else will find this useful at some point!!  Helps to get
rid of those whacky variable names (i.e. "xu_bem_ard", which is actually
"lon")!!

Chris

--
Christopher Mueller | Scientist
Applied Science Associates

ASA | Science. Services. Solutions

Imagination is everything.  It is the preview of life's coming attractions.
- Albert Einstein

Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right. -
Henry Ford