Re: Java netcdf 2.2

_From caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  Mon Oct 17 17:56:53 2005
        autolearn=ham version=3.0.1

Hi Don:

Donald Denbo wrote:
> John,
>     I have just recently looked, for the first time, at the netcdf  2.2
> libraries.  I immediately noticed that this version is not upward
> compatible from the previous version (2.1).  Given the amount of time
> that will be required to port ncBrowse from netcdf 2.1 to netcdf 2.2
> I'm curious how stable is the version 2.2 API?  I note that it does  say
> (alpha) so I'm a little reluctant to put the effort until the API  has
> settled down.

The lower level, particularly ucar.nc2.NetcdfFile are related is pretty stable,
though things are still moving around a _little_ bit. The upper levels ( like
ucar.nc2.dt) are still going to change a lot.

Id say if you are just going to replace 2.1 functionality, it should be a
reletively easy port.

>     Given that the conversion from 2.1 to 2.2 does require a re- coding
> of much of ncBrowse, I'm curious why you make only a minor  version
> change when the API is quite different?  The change from 2.1  to 2.2
> seems greater to me that from version 1 to version 2 (at least  there
> was an  upgrade path there).  I think calling it version 3.0  and
> creating nc3, etc, would allow a developers to keep a single  netcdf
> library for development rather that keeping track of two  incompatible
> libraries.

No good reason for where the version number is incrementing, just the usual
history etc. Sort of like JDK 1.5 becomes 5.0 I guess. Anyway were kind of
stuck with it for now.

John