Re: 20050706: creating Structure and Sequence using netCDF Java API

  • To: Сергей <serg@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: 20050706: creating Structure and Sequence using netCDF Java API
  • From: John Caron <caron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 10:25:04 -0700
_From owner-netcdf-java@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Thu Jul  7 11:28:34 2005
Sender: owner-netcdf-java@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

>Hello, support team,
>
>I want to create objects like Structure and Sequence during creating
>my netCDF file. I use netCDF Java API and I can't understand how can I
>do this. Would you be so kind to show me a couple of examples of
>creating simple Structure and Sequence using Java API?

Hi Serg, heres a recent response to the same question:

The netCDF 3 file format doesn't support structures so you can't
currently create/write structures. (You should be able to once netCDF 4
comes out.) What you can do structure-wise with netCDF 3 fils is think
of all the variables that use the record (unlimited) dimension as a
structure. The creation (in the netCDF-java object model, not on file)
of a "record" structure variable is what the addRecordStructure() method
does. So, to use structures in netCDF 3 files, you need to write the
files with an unlimited dimension and when you read the files use the
addRecordStructure().

Here is a recently (or soon to be) released document on structures in
netCDF 3 files:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/netcdf-java/formats/RecordsInNetcdf3.html

Hope this helps.