Re: netcdf-java v 2.2.05 released

Lyn Greenhill wrote:

John:

We are developing a new engineering analysis package and will use netCDF for saving model and analysis results. Our previous use was with a desktop application, now we are going to an enterprise application using J2EE. I have a couple of general questions:

1. We are using version 1.0 of netCDF, should we migrate to 2.0?

2. Do you have any experience using netCDF with J2EE? We're planning on keeping the data file on the client side, and transferring results when calculated from the server.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Lyn Greenhill, P.E.
DynaTech Engineering, Inc.

Hi Lyn:

For simple access, v 1.0 remains adequate. It is no longer being developed however.

V 2.1 is current release. This has new features and some performance enhancements from 1.0; we will only fix bugs in it going forward.

V 2.2 will be released later this year. This has many new features and will continue to evolve. I would recommend using it when it becomes non-beta (or sooner if you need some of the new features).

We currently use netcdf-java 2.1 in Tomcat, and it works well. There are no inherent threading problems. You shouldnt have any problems with any J2EE technolgy that i know of.

v 2.2 will be much bigger, esp using a dozen other libraries, most optional. so there is a bit bigger job in managing possible library versions etc.