[netcdf-hdf] Unexpected overall file size jump

We recently began working on a transition from netcdf 3.6.2 to 4.1.1.

The process was trouble free and things seem to be working, but we have
been surprised to find the HDF variant producing extremely large files
relative to the old netcdf native form.  Our measurement files are already
enormous, and further growth would be deadly.

Has anyone else encountered this?

Thanks!

-jrm

James Mason