[netcdf-hdf] Question about dimensionless Variables

Hello,

I am using the NetCDF C API (version 4.0 built on Jun 10 2009) to create
Dimensions and Variables in new files.  One issue I am having is that
when I try to add dimensionless Variables, I get a -101 error code from
the NetCDF API which appears to correspond to an underlying HDF error.
The error itself occurs when nc_enddef() is first called.

I have not yet found a way to trace/print the HDF errors, but this only
appears to happen when I create variables with 0 dimensions.  Identical
logic works through the NetCDF Java API with NetCDF classic files, and I
am guessing that HDF allows this type of structure.

Hints or help appreciated.  :)

Thanks!
Aaron