Re: [netcdf-hdf] installing netcfd

"Jaafar Nasheed Al-Mahmoudi" <Mahmoudi@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hi
>
> Please may I know the difference between netCFD 3.6.2 and netCFD4?
> Which version do you recommend me to install since I would like to
> use it for processing WRF outputs?
>
> Regards
>
> Jaafar

I presume you mean the difference between 3.6.3 and 4.0.

The only difference is that the 4.0 release can be used to create new
netCDF files with extra, shiny new features, like compression,
parallel I/O, multiple unlimited dimensions, etc.

If you want to create files using these features, you must get the
4.0 release, and build it with the --enable-netcdf-4 and --with-hdf5
options. (See:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/docs/netcdf-install/Quick-Instructions.html)

NetCDF-4.0 is a drop in replacement for netCDF-3.x, so unless you
*know* that you don't ever want to try those new features, you should
get the netCDF-4.0 release.

Thanks,

Ed

--