Re: 1.8 file format

Great! But I see that we need to clean some code in the library (H5Odtype.c "Fix dumping reference types!" ) :-)

At 9:14 PM -0600 7/24/07, John Caron wrote:
Thanks Elena, this is what i found:

Message 1...
  Message ID (sequence number):                   0x0003 `datatype' (0)
  Dirty:                                          FALSE
  Message flags:                                  <C>
  Chunk number:                                   0
  Raw message data (offset, size) in chunk:       (40, 8) bytes
  Message Information:
     Type class:                                  reference
     Size:                                        12 bytes
     Fix dumping reference types!

Message 3...
  Message ID (sequence number):                   0x0008 `layout' (0)
  Dirty:                                          FALSE
  Message flags:                                  <C>
  Chunk number:                                   0
  Raw message data (offset, size) in chunk:       (80, 24) bytes
  Message Information:
     Version:                                     1
     Type:                                        Contiguous
     Data address:                                12224
     Data Size:                                   0

matching my dump (sort of):

-->Datatype(3) messageSize=8 flags = 1
  Datatype type=7 version= 1 flags = 1 0 0 byteSize=12 byteOrder=BIG
  --type 7(reference): type= 1

 -->Layout(8) messageSize=24 flags = 1
  StorageLayout version= 1 type = 1 ndims=2: 5 12 dataAddress= 12224

Elena Pourmal wrote:
John,

You may wish to try h5ls tool to find the address of the object header for that dataset and then use h5debug tool to see header messages.

I believe commands will be like in the following examples

h5ls -var file.h5

You will see addresses of the datasets (say the address of the dataset you are interested in is XXXX).

Then use h5debug

h5debug file.h5 XXXX
to see the messages at address XXXX.

May be it is not exactly the correct syntax but it is easy to figure out when you know what you are looking for in the file.

Elena