Re: what I am doing wrong with fill values for HDF5 strings...

Hi Ed,

On May 23, 2007, at 12:08 PM, Ed Hartnett wrote:

Howdy HDF5 Folk!

I can't get a fill_value working for a string type - I don't know why.

I have the following code, it sets up a string variable with fill
value. But it does not work!

Hmm, from just reading the code, everything looks OK. I'll compile it and test it, along with your other bugs (which I'm working on tomorrow :-).

        Quincey

   printf("*** Checking fill value...");
   {
#define NUM_AMENDMENTS 27
#define NA 2
#define MAX_LEN 1024
#define GRP_NAME1 "Constitution"
#define VAR_NAME1 "Amendments"

      char *data[NA];
      char **data_in;
char amend[NA][MAX_LEN] = {"Congress shall make no law respecting an "
                                 "establishment of religion, or prohibiting the
"
                                 "free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom
"
                                 "of speech, or of the press; or the right of the
"
                                 "people peaceably to assemble, and to petition
"
                                 "the government for a redress of grievances.",
                                 " A well regulated militia, being necessary to the
"
                                 "security of a free state, the right of the people
"
                                 "to keep and bear arms, shall not be
infringed."};
      hsize_t dims_in[1], dims[1] = {NA};
      hid_t fileid, grpid, spaceid, typeid, datasetid, plistid;
      int i;
      char fill_value[] = "";
      char *f1 = fill_value;

      for (i = 0; i < NA; i++)
         data[i] = amend[i];

      /* Open file. */
      if ((fileid = H5Fcreate(FILE_NAME, H5F_ACC_TRUNC, H5P_DEFAULT,
                           H5P_DEFAULT)) < 0) ERR;
      if ((grpid = H5Gcreate(fileid, GRP_NAME1, 0)) < 0) ERR;

      /* Create string type. */
      if ((typeid =  H5Tcopy(H5T_C_S1)) < 0) ERR;
      if (H5Tset_size(typeid, H5T_VARIABLE) < 0) ERR;

      /* Write an dataset of this type. */
      if ((spaceid = H5Screate_simple(1, dims, NULL)) < 0) ERR;
      if ((plistid = H5Pcreate(H5P_DATASET_CREATE)) < 0) ERR;
      if (H5Pset_fill_value(plistid, typeid, f1) < 0) ERR;
      if ((datasetid = H5Dcreate(grpid, VAR_NAME1, typeid,
                                 spaceid, plistid)) < 0) ERR;
      if (H5Dwrite(datasetid, typeid, H5S_ALL, H5S_ALL, H5P_DEFAULT,
                   data) < 0) ERR;

When it gets to here I get an error from HDF5:

0x00000000006dad95 in H5T_vlen_str_mem_getlen (_vl=0x9d0d50) at H5Tvlen.c:532

--
Ed Hartnett  -- ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx