How to associate attributes with fields in netCDF-4 compound types?

Hi NetCDF-4 folks,

We're been thinking about using compound types in some of our new datasets and have been puzzling over how to add attributes to compound variables.

We expected to be able to specify attributes on a per *field* basis but I get the definite impression this is not actually going to be possible... attributes can be global, per group, per variable but it seems thats it. Is this so?

Has anybody else been thinking about metadata for compound types? How is metadata expected to be represented for individual fields? Surely something as basic the ability to specify different units for each field has been considered? Or have we got this whole compound types idea wrong?

Any thoughts most gratefully received.

regards

Simon Wood

--
Simon Wood                                  Meteorology & Remote Sensing
Scientific Programmer                                               NIWA