Re: distribution issues - moving zlib into HDF5...

Hi Ed,

> >> I agree with Ed's concern about the netCDF library not being able to read
> >> netCDF files that are created using zlib.  Same goes for HDF5
> >> itself.  However it's done, the libraries should have zlib available.
> >
> >     If we want to make zlib a requirement, we should decide that for
> >     certain.
>
> By "we" in this, you mean the HDF5 team, right?

    Yes, sorry, that was meant as more of an internal comment to the HDF5 team
members on the list.

> Because for netCDF-4, zlib is a requirement. We have the following
> netCDF-4 requirement:
>
> "Compression can be applied on a per-variable basis."
>
> I think this is an important feature of netCDF-4. I don't think we
> want the user confusion that would go with some installations having
> zlib, others not. So I don't want to build netCDF-4 without zlib. It's
> a firm requirement for netCDF-4.
>
> For HDF5, my opinion would be that you are making it harder for the
> users. With the current situation, it is possible to write a HDF5 file
> on one system, and be unable to read it on another. It is possible to
> write a HDF5 program that works great on one platform, but won't
> compile on another. Does this not cause a lot of user confusion?

    Well, there's several filters that can be applied to HDF5 datasets and
zlib is just one of them.  We don't treat it in any special way.  Yes, if
you get a file with a dataset that users a filter that's not compiled into
your version of HDF5, you won't be able to read the data.

> I suspect most people just install HDF5 without zlib. But per-variable
> compression is a *GREAT* feature, and one that I think most
> researchers would very much like to use (my opinion).

    It is a nice feature. :-)  Are you going to support other compression
mechanisms besides zlib?  (The "szip" compression mechanism is very good on
some NASA data...)

> > Then, if it's a requirement, we should make the absolute best attempt we can
> > to use the system's installed zlib - that's what it's there for.  Only if
> > there
> > is no zlib installed on the system should we attempt to help the user
> > install
> > a copy of zlib from the _zlib_ web-site.  We should _not_ be in the
> > "business"
> > of distributing zlib.
>
> Here I must disagree. Your current method makes it considerably harder
> for the user to ensure that zlib is installed, and the HDF5 is built
> with the --with-zlib option. In fact, I would speculate that the vast
> majority of users will screw this part up. (I often do myself!)

    Well, as I said in my original note, if the HDF5 distribution requires
zlib to be installed, then the "configure" step would fail until an appropriate
zlib was provided.  So, it would be possible to make certain that zlib is
available on the user platform.

> It is usual in autotools to provide what cannot be found on the
> system. For example, if I want to use the "strtok" function, the
> autotools way would be to look for it on the host system, and, if not
> found, to provide one, *not* to have my code work one way if it's
> there, and another way if it's not.

    The autotools do provide some "minor" functionality in order to make
porting applications easier.  They don't provide anything near the scale of
entire compression library packages.

> Similarly, it would make sense for HDF5 to look for zlib, and, if not
> found, to provide it.
>
> The amount of extra code in your distribution is trivial. The amount
> of extra work to get it working this way is zero for you, since I am
> going to do it anyway, and you can just take my solution if you want
> it.
>
> In general, this also guards against versioning problems. What if the
> user has a version of zlib other than 1.2.3 installed? Surely you
> don't test against every possible version of zlib.
>
> I understand your concerns about taking on some responsibility for
> zlib. But that is already the case - it is already an important
> component of our products. Making it harder to install does not really
> help this problem. If there is a bug is zlib, we all will be hurting
> - no matter how it was installed.
>
> In fact, by taking a known, tested version of zlib inside our
> products, we guard against zlib risks. If version 1.2.4 of zlib comes
> out, and it sucks, we will be protected. All our users will be using
> 1.2.3, which they got with their tarball.

    This is actually a good argument for not shipping dependent libraries
as well - what if 1.2.4 is released and we continue to ship with the 1.2.3
version, overriding the version installed on the system.

    We should not presume to be "smarter" than the user.  We should use the
packages on their system and assume they have everything set up the way they
want it.

> >> At first blush, Ed's solution seems to me like a good one.
> >
> >     It's _very much_ against all the current open source "package"
> > installation
> > systems' philosophy and I don't think it's a good idea.  All of package
> > installation systems allow each package in the system to list other
> > packages as
> > prerequisites that must be installed on the system before the package the
> > user is interested in is installed.  We just _finished_ removing zlib and
> > libjpeg from the HDF4 distribution... :-)
>
> In the world of package distribution, if zlib is required for HDF5,
> that means that HDF5 will not build without zlib.
>
> The problem is that HDF5 *will* build without zlib, yielding a HDF5
> build which is not usable for netCDF-4. To fit the current package
> model, you need to make the HDF5 configure script dumb enough to just
> give up when zlib is not present. There there would be only one way to
> build HDF5 - with zlib.

    I don't think that's "dumbing down" the configure script, it would just
make zlib a requirement for installing hdf5.

> Also, package distribution, while wonderful, is not the usual way for
> people to get either HDF5 or netCDF - they get these as tarballs from
> our site. So we cannot rely on every user having a package manager to
> hide this complexity.

    I think you might be suprised by this, as you say below, most of your
users are earth scientists, not computer geeks.  Many will choose the "easy"
installation method of using the package manager on their machine, instead
of downloading source code themselves.  As long as you play nice with the
package manager, this is very workable.

> I would be interested to hear why you removed zlib from HDF4. Was
> there a problem?

    _Lots_ of users complained that they already had a version of zlib/libjpeg
on their system and wanted our software to use it.  What if the system has
a custom compiled version of zlib on their machine (compiler options, speed
improvements, bug fixes, whatever)?  They _definitely_ want you to use it.

    It was also a hassle to monitor the status of libjpeg & zlib and update
them when new releases of zlib/libjpeg came out.  When a critical security
bug was fixed in zlib or libjpeg we would have to import it and ship a
patched version of HDF4 to make certain that the users got it.  And, then
we would have to announce a security bug in HDF4, which really wasn't ours
and tended to make us look bad.

    I talked to Elena and she said that when we switched over, a few users
asked where to get the JPEG & zlib libraries (which we hosted on our web-site),
but otherwise didn't have any problem with the transition.

> >     Shipping someone else's library with our package and installing it
> > on a user's system (most likely _in place of_ the system version of that
> > library) has caused _lots_ of headaches for us in the past.
>
> Installation is different from building.
>
> I would not suggest that zlib be installed from the HDF5 build. You
> can build it and use it internal to the HDF5 package, use it within
> HDF5 but not expose it to anyone else.
>
> Then you have not installed anything on the user's system other than
> HDF5.

    I don't understand what you mean by this.  Are you suggesting that we
just use an internal zlib during the build stage and then install the HDF5
package with it pointing at the system zlib?  Or, are you suggesting that we
build zlib into the HDF5 library that we install?

    In the first case, we wouldn't have any idea if the installed HDF5
package would work with the system zlib.  In the second case, we've installed
a "stealth" zlib inside the HDF5 library, which I'm certain that the users
won't expect.

> >     Frankly, I think this is the course that netCDF-4 should take
> > with HDF5 also, but that'll ultimately be up to them.
>
> I would love to. Instead of programming autoconf and automake I would
> be out on a bike ride!
>
> But that's just going to kill uptake of netCDF-4. Our users are Earth
> scientists, not computer scientists.
>
> I intend that users will be able to install netCDF-4 in one step, just
> like netCDF-3. It makes extra work for me up front, but also saves me
> hundreds or thousands of support emails later. (Recall - we don't have
> a large support team here at netCDF - just me and Russ!)
>
> In this new build method, users will not get HDF5 from you and
> netCDF-4 from me, they will get the whole tarball from me, and build
> it all at once.

    If your users really are earth scientists, they aren't going to download
the source from you.  They will use a package manager, or they will ask their
sysadmin to install it for them.  If they think they know enough about how
to install software, then they should be able to handle installing (or
locating) HDF5 and/or zlib on their system.

> (There will also be provision for users who want to
> use an already-installed version of HDF5 - but this will be a small
> minority of users. However, for them, everything can work just as it
> does now.)

    I think you may be suprised about this percentage. :-)

> It was also not my intention to install HDF5 on their machines with
> netCDF-4, but just to use it internally, and end up installing
> netCDF-4 only.
>
> (This also would mean that the user would not have to provide the link
> arguments "-lhdf5 -lhdf5_hl -lz -lnetcdf", just "-lnetcdf". It will
> make the netcdf library files larger, but so what?)

    Because, as I said earlier, you will (apparently by default) install
a "stealth" version of the HDF5 and zlib libraries.  You will then have to
wrestle with the support issues from people who install a new version of
HDF5 and/or zlib on their machine and are confused about why netCDF-4 doesn't
use it.

> If the HDF5 build can take on the task of building zlib when not
> present that would make things a lot easier for me. I can give you the
> changes that you would need for that to happen.

    If we decide to go this route, I'm certain we'll be happy to have them. :-)

> If not, then I will possibly have to hack every HDF5 release before
> including it in the master tarball with netCDF-4. This will add some
> work for me every time you do a release, and some delay in adopting
> new HDF5 versions in netCDF-4.
>
> My goal is to make life easier for the netCDF user. Current netCDF4
> installation is far too complicated - it *must* be
> simplified. Otherwise we will lose half our users or more before they
> even get to try it.

    I doubt you will lose the users, they will certainly get help if they
need to use it.  I think it's good to improve your configure script to have
a "with-hdf5" flag though and then fail if it can't locate HDF5.

    Ideally, relying on an already installed version of HDF5 (and zlib) on the
users machine will simplify your support costs.  You won't have to try to
figure out how to build HDF5 on every weird variant of a linux cluster or
supercomputer, you can just rely on us (Albert, really :-) knowing how to do
that and having it already there for you.

    I know that you are intending the distribution of netCDF-4 to be as
standalone as the netCDF-3 distribution and that's your goal in all this,
which _is_ very good.  However, netCDF-4 isn't really standalone, so I would
encourage you to think through all the aspects of the issue before committing
to your suggested course of action.

    Quincey