Re: getting cvs HDF5 to install on a sun

On Wed, 4 May 2005, Ed Hartnett wrote:
> James Laird <jlaird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > The libtool script used in the build process should be generated by
> > configure.  That's why it looks for libtool in . and not in your path.
> >
> > I think the problem here is buried in the middle of the configure output:
> > it complains that AC_LIBTOOL_DLOPEN and AM_PROG_LIBTOOL are not found.
> > These are macros that it needs to create libtool, and both of them should
> > live in aclocal.m4.  Is there a chance that aclocal.m4 was deleted or
> > corrupted?
> >
> > James
> >

> I did a new cvs checkout of hdf5 today. When I do an autoreconf, it
> fails:

You're getting errors because HDF5 doesn't follow the GNU documentation
standard; that's why NEWS, README, etc. aren't present; we need to use
automake with the --foreign option to avoid those errors.  You may also be
using different versions of the autotools than HDF5 does.  Our
reconfiguration script is located at hdf5/bin/reconfigure.

You shouldn't need to reconfigure in the first place, though.  HDF5
includes aclocal.m4 in its distribution.  If you just check out a fresh
version of HDF5, you should get a fresh version of aclocal.m4.  If
configure can't find that copy, then I'm not sure what's wrong.

James