Do we want to schedule a telcon?

All,

I think we planned to have a telcon pretty soon, to synch up the netcdf4/hdf5
activities.  I would think the agenda is mainly updates.

Mike et al. visited NASA last week, and there has been a lot of work done.

I attach below a summary of big items from HDF.  (This is my version, I
hope I got things more or less correct.)

  --REMcG

Status  (also at http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/RFC/netCDF4/nc4status.txt)
++++++

Reviewing my mail for the last few weeks, I have 4 major items from HDF:

  1. Draft proposal for configuration/build
  2. Parallel test plan
  3. Discussions of group and indexing features and plans
  4. Discussions of unicode
 Here is my summary

Draft proposal:  "A Roadmap for Implementing NetCDF4 Configure/build"
============
  (March 30, 2005)
  See the document:
    http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/RFC/netCDF4/nc4-conf.pdf

           At some point, it will be important to publish something.

Parallel test plan and test status
=================================
"Ideas for Testing Parallel NetCDF-4" (April 12, 2005, revised April 28, 2005)
  See the document:
    http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/RFC/netCDF4/par-tests-revised.pdf
  (Note:  see the _revised_ plan on page 3-4)

Discussion of Group Indexes
==========================

1. Plan

* For feature freeze: implement new API with old index internally * Reimplement with new structures for the release

 The files created in this period may be incompatible with the released
 library.

2. Design

 Multiple options for what will stored for each link (i.e., the index
 in a group):
    - Name (indexable, must be unique, modifiable)
    - Creation time (indexable, may be non-unique, modifiable)
- Creation order (indexable, unique, monotonicly increasing, non-modifiable) - Character set (i.e. ASCII, UTF-8, etc.) (non-indexable?, non-unique, modifiable) - Object address/link target (for hard/soft links) (non-indexable, may be
        non-unique (for multiple links to same object), modifiable?)

Applications can determine which of the three indexable fields they'd like to have an index maintained for with a group creation property. They will
  choose an index for iteration, etc. with a group access property.

  Additional requirements were proposed:
* No current API will change, all existing programs work without change. * No matter what index is selected at create time it must be possible to
      iterate by name, and this must be the default behavior.

Discussions of Unicode
=====================

Unidata requested support for Unicode, at least for object (and attribute?) names. This was limited to UTF-8 support for now.

Action:

Add support for UTF-8 character set.
Write tests.
Document, especially any gotcha's.