Re: question about HDF5 compound type macros...

> Ed:
>
> I think you are true.

    Indeed, yes.  However, it is appropriate becuase you want to get that
machine's native settings for the struct in memory.  If you'd like to generate
a "packed" compound type for storing the data on disk (which may not always be
the best option, because it may require datatype conversions on more machines)
you can use H5Tpack().  To generate a "native" compound datatype for a
particular machine from a packed compound datatype, use H5Tget_native_type().

    Quincey