Re: Schedule decision

Hi Mike,

> This question came up today at the NASA briefing, when we were talking
> about the netCDF 4 project.  There was a weak but immediate and negative
> reaction to using time as a proxy for creation order.  The reason given was
> that many applications would want to use the creation time as an attribute,
> but that the times used would not necessarily give the same ordering as
> creation time because different times might be relative to different time
> zones.  I have a feeling there were other cases, given the reaction people
> had.
>
> Of course this could only happen if people were allowed to change the
> "creation time."  And one could also argue that creation time is a
> different attribute -- it's the time the link was created, not the time the
> data was collected.  But I have a feeling this would just lead to confusion.
>
> So at best, I think there is concern that this could led to confusion.  I
> tend to agree.

    Ok, I think we've heard enough customer push-back on this that we ought to
provide both options and allow people to choose which they'd like.  Here's a
list of the fields that I'm planning on storing on storing for each link:
    - Name (indexable, must be unique, modifiable)
    - Creation time (indexable, may be non-unique, modifiable)
    - Creation order (indexable, unique, monotonicly increasing, non-modifiable)
    - Character set (i.e. ASCII, UTF-8, etc.) (non-indexable?, non-unique,
        modifiable)
    - Object address/link target (for hard/soft links) (non-indexable, may be
        non-unique (for multiple links to same object), modifiable?)

    Applications can determine which of the three indexable fields they'd like
to have an index maintained for with a group creation property.  They will
choose an index for iteration, etc. with a group access property.

    Quincey