Re: when will HDF5 support Unicode?

Quincey,

>     I'll write some tests that check for proper insertion of non-ASCII strings
> as object & attribute names and let you know what I find out.
>
>     Note that Unicode strings as elements of a dataset is harder and probably
> won't work correctly currently.

Right.  For data, multiple encodings would have to be supported.  What
we're considering is an "_Encoding" attribute that would identify the
character encoding for a string, e.g.

  String Address;
     Address:_Encoding = "UTF-8";

For backward compatibility, we would have to assume no encoding when
this attribute is not specified.  With this implementation of Unicode
strings and the ability to store arbitrary arrays of bytes, there
might not be any implications for the HDF5 library.

--Russ