Re: zero length attrributes...

John:

It seems that we are going to a review of MEAD project. MEAD is an NSF expedition project back to 4 years ago. At first, we didn't committed to provide either an operational parallel or a sequential IO module.s. What we did is to do a kind of expedition, and further more to investigate the performance of HDF5. However, at the end of the project, John Mialakes would like to have our parallel version into WRF release. Since I have been spending limited time maintaining the module even after the project ended a year ago. Sequential version has never been into WRF release since WRF has already had several sequential IO modules. I did remember I checked the output carefully about dim. scale at that time; I should realize the reverse order of dim-rank. Somehow it just slipped away from my finger. In the future I need to review them again, I just don't have time now. As for parallelzation, WRF does parallelism in spatially(domain decompositions). Time won't affect parallelzation.

As for the last few questions you ask:
We can "extend" the data this way but just not use chunking storage in WRF.
I am not sure your last few questions. The bottom line is to store data in contiguous storage won't affect parallelzation at all. It just add a little bit more meta-data. If you want to know more about this, you can go to http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/apps/WRF-ROMS to read more report about this work; especially the article at http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/apps/WRF-ROMS/performance-report.pdf may help answer your questions.

Kent