Re: 20041123: netcdf-java

Subject: BOUNCE netcdf-hdf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Non-member submission from ["Ian F. Darwin" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>] Organization: UCAR/Unidata

From support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Tue Nov 23 14:27:36 2004
Cc: "Ian F. Darwin" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Ian F. Darwin" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: netcdf-java
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 16:27:53 -0500
To: netcdf-hdf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

As a Java developer I was happy to stumble across the web site for netcdf-java today.

However I was a tiny bit concerned that the netcdf-java page describes version 2.1 as "a prototype for the NetCDF-4 project". Prototypes in some meanings of the word tend to be things that are developed and then discarded. Can you please comment on the medium-term viability of netcdf-java, that is, will it continue to be developed in parallel with NetCDF-4, or will its maintenance come to an end with the release of the C version?

Thanks very much for your answer to this all-important question:-)

Ian Darwin
Toronto Center for Phenogenomics (phenogenomics.ca)
ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Ian:

The netCDF Java library is fully supported Unidata software; its not going away!

The sense of "prototype" that I intended was simply that various design ideas are being tried out in the Java library, with eventual migration to the C library as they prove useful and resources are available. As such, the APIs are a bit more fluid than the C library. It will probably stay rather ahead of the C library development for the forseeable future. The latest version is 2.2.

thanks for your interest.