Re: HDF5 bitfields...

Quincey Koziol wrote:

If we have the ability to store variable length "compressed formats", then it seems like we can define some simple format for this, say a sequence

 n  (int)
 nbits (byte)
 scale (float/double)
 offset (float/double)
 n nbit integers

so that the compressed data is self contained, with no need for auxilary variables or info stored outside the chunk.
   I thought you wanted the predefined scale/offset values to vary according
to the chunk's location in the dataspace?
The above format would describe the compressed data format for one chunk. So the scale, offset could vary for each chunk.

I was proposing that we start with the case where the scale and offset are automatically calculated by the compression filter. I think that will be the most common case.

Not sure if im missing something.