Re: parallel I/O and netCDF-4

Hi Ed,

> Quincey Koziol <koziol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> >     From HDF5's perspective, you have to use H5Pset_fapl_<foo>(params) to
> > choose to use a particular file driver to access a file.  Probably something
> > like this should be exported/translated out to the netCDF4 layer for users
> > choose which driver to access the file with.
> >     Here's the URL for the parallel HDF5 info currently:
> >         http://hdf.ncsa.uiuc.edu/HDF5/PHDF5/
>
> I'm seeing three steps to parallel HDF5:
>
> 1 - Initialize MPI
> 2 - When opening/creating the file, set a property in file access
> properties.
> 3 - Every time reading or writing file, pass a correctly set transfer
> property.
    I'm assuming you mean reading/writing "raw" data.

> Does that seem to sum it up?
    That's some of it.  You also have to make certain that the functions
listed below are called correctly.

> But I see below that you are also asking that "these properties must
> be set to the same values when they > are used in a parallel program,"
>
> What do you mean by that?
    You can't have half the processes set a property to one value and the other
half set the same property to a different value.  (i.e. everybody must agree
that the userblock is 512 bytes, for example :-)

> In parallel I/O do multiple processes try and create the file? Or does
> one create it, and the rest just open it? Sorry if that seems like a
> dumb question!
    In MPI-I/O, file creation is a collective operation, so all the processes
participate in the create (from our perspective at least, I don't know how it
happens internally in the MPI-I/O library).
    You are going to have fun learning how to do parallel programming with
MPI - think of it as multi-threaded programs with bad debugging support... :-/

    Quincey