Re: Strings (was: Re: HDF5 bitfields...)

Ed,

> Russ and John, are we going to say that not all types are convertible
> in netCDF? At this moment, any type can be converted into any other,
> but are we going to try that with string? Doesn't seem to make much
> sense...

No, in netCDF there is no conversion supported between text and
numeric types.  As it says in section 3.3 of the Users Guide:

  If the netCDF external type for a variable is char, only character
  data representing text strings can be written to or read from the
  variable. No automatic conversion of text data to a different
  representation is supported.

The only conversions supported are among numeric types.

--Russ