Re: more on netCDF 4 compatibility requirements...

Hi Ed,
    Here's a short list of features that HDF5 will have to provide in
order to allow netCDF objects to be stored correctly:
    - Dimension Scales for dataspaces
    - Shared dimension scales and/or dataspaces for datasets

    Is there anything else that will be needed in HDF5 for netCDF support?

        Quincey Koziol
        HDF5 Development Team
        NCSA

> Here's some more detail on what we expect netCDF 4 to be able to
> do. Please let me know what you think...
>

> * NetCDF File Format Compatability
>
> ** NetCDF 4 uses HDF5 as it's storage layer.
>
> ** NetCDF 4 can also create/read/modify files created with previous
>    versions of netCDF, using the original netCDF data format.
>
> ** If the user opens an old netCDF file, and attempts to modify it,
>    NetCDF 4 will stick with the (old) netCDF file format. New API
>    features (like bit-packing) won't work on these files.
>
> ** There will be a way for users to cause an old netCDF file to be
>    copied into the new HDF5 data format.
>
> ** NetCDF 4 can read files created with HDF5, but some features will be
>    inaccessible (rasters, for example). Certain group conventions may
>    be required for a HDF5 file to be accessible via netCDF.
>
> ** NetCDF 4 can't read HDF 4 files.
>
> ** NetCDF 4 has no knowledge of HDF-EOS.
>

> * NetCDF API Backward Compatibility
>
> ** Interface will be added to, but all existing function calls will
>    remain the same, so that programs written for netCDF 3.x will work
>    for netCDF 4.0 with a simple compile.
>
> ** By default, the netCDF 4 API creates HDF5 files. A renamed set of
>    functions allows access to the original 3.x netCDF functions, which
>    allow the users to create netCDF format files.
>

>From owner-netcdf-hdf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 09 2003 Jul -0600 11:35:41
>     Here's a short list of features that HDF5 will have to provide in
> order to allow netCDF objects to be stored correctly:
>     - Dimension Scales for dataspaces
>     - Shared dimension scales and/or dataspaces for datasets
>
>     Is there anything else that will be needed in HDF5 for netCDF support?

I sure don't know the answer to that one yet!

Ed