Re: requirements for anonymous dimensions (and question for John)

Quincey Koziol wrote:

ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

From our requirements on anonymous dimensions:

* Dimensions do not always require a name.
By this do we mearly mean that I can accept a dimension with a zero
length name, and that's it?

Otherwise it acts exactly like a regular dimension?

If so, this will be an easy one!

John, was there something else you had in mind for this that I am missing?
Ed

anonymous dimensions are local to the variable, as opposed to globally scoped dimensions which can be shared across variables. anonymous dimensions can be nameless, but it would be ok if they had a name if someone had an idea why that would be useful.
   Hmm, why not just call them "private dimensions" then?

       Quincey
yeah "private" is better. i think that they are what HDF5 currently has, if we leave them nameless. we need to extend the netcdf model to allow them.