Re: when will HDF5 support Unicode?

On 2003.12.18 10:30 Ed Hartnett wrote:
Howdy HDF5 Guys!

When will Unicode be supported in HDF5?

Thanks!

Ed

What does this entail? I'm assuming this is that same as HDF string types, with all the features. The only difference is the encoding and the width of
charaters.

What about unicode H5T_CHAR class?

I would think the work is:

* an official HDF name for a sub-class of H5T_STRING, whatever is needed to support that * conversion between ASCII and Unicode?
  * tests
  * update dumper and other key tools

Is there anything else?
From owner-netcdf-hdf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 18 2003 Dec -0700 09:46:58
Date: 18 Dec 2003 09:46:58 -0700
From: ed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: netcdf-hdf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: requirements for anonymous dimensions (and question for John)
Sender: owner-netcdf-hdf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

From our requirements on anonymous dimensions:

* Dimensions do not always require a name.
By this do we mearly mean that I can accept a dimension with a zero
length name, and that's it?

Otherwise it acts exactly like a regular dimension?

If so, this will be an easy one!

John, was there something else you had in mind for this that I am missing?
Ed