Re: zero length attrributes...

I believe there is a confusion between the types of the selections and
types of dataspaces.

It makes a perfect sense to define an algebra on selections since they
belong to the same dataspace. Currently our APIs do not allow to do
algebra on different types of selections (pont selections vs. hyperslab
selections). And I am also not sure if we have "official" empty selection
for each type.

If we need algebra on dataspaces, first we have to define to which "space"
dataspaces belong.

We can rethink the notion of the dataspace. Currently we think about
it as a vector/scalar space. Empty dataspace doesn't fit well into this.
We probably should have empty/scalar, empty/simple spaces. But bottom line
- it is empty.

We can expand the notion of the dataspace and think about it as an
ordered set and define set operations on the dataspaces. I don't know who
will need it, but for example mapping from HDF5 to STEP model would be
much easier.

Elena

Elena Pourmal, HDF QA, Maintenance and Support Team Leader
NCSA University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
605 E. Springfield Ave.
Champaign, IL 61820

epourmal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
(217)333-0238 (office)