Re: zero length attrributes...

On 2003.11.11 11:31 Quincey Koziol wrote:

  3 - The most elegant solution is to add a "empty" ("nil", "null",
anyone have
        an opinion on the name?  I like "empty") dataspace to HDF5.
This would
        just be a dataspace with no elements in it.  Obviously, there
would be
        no way to perform I/O on it and it would use no storage space
for the
        raw data, etc.

I'm not sure that "elegant" would be the first word that leaps to mind.

But if you are going to do this, make the "algebra" of dataspaces and
selections work right. Also, I would want a SCALAR with 0 dims to be equivalent to EMPTY, and a SIMPLE with 0 dims to be equivalent to EMPTY. Make sure that selections work sensibly:

   EMPTY AND SPACE = ??
   EMPTY OR SPACE = ??
   SPACE - EMPTY = SPACE
   EMPTY - SPACE = ??